Thursday, July 18, 2013

Memories

| |

Memories. Writing the first word of my post gave me so many flashes. Everybody has their own memories that they can't erase in just a blink of an eye or a lifetime, even if the people in it go by choice or by time.

Significant events are easier to remember...

Same place, different time, different people

Situation 1:

A rushing hour, I had to go in the car quickly. As I opened the door and put my right foot in the car, the person driving didn't realize I still had my other foot on the ground. It was a rush therefore the car was in an instant high speed (in a speed that was really fast for me). Luckily I responded quickly although I was very shocked.

Situation 2:

I can still remember where I'm facing and how I'm nervous and shy to give him that tiny paperbag as his Christmas gift. Inside there was something I knew he liked. All the thoughts jumbled up in my head whether to give it now or maybe next time. Again, we didn't have much time but I could still remember all the nerve-wrecking  feeling in me..I was happy & sad. So I took the guts to just give it to him in that place. I can still picture his reaction and how he glanced at me which actually made me feel a rush of blood in my face. He didn't expect what was coming and in return he handed me a really nice thing he had prepared. We only met for a while, it was raining pretty hard outside and he had to take me home.


So...

Both situations happened at the same exact place, different timing and with different people. The first situation happened around last month while the second happened almost a year ago. There is one common thing, both happened in a short period of time although situation 1 was shorter because I only remembered the "pinnacle" of the moment with a "global" view. Didn't even remember what happened before and after that experience. But I totally remember how I felt. From how I described these situations you can tell which one is a positive memory and which one is unpleasant.

Memories are actually made by how the emotions are aroused, not by personal significance. I can totally remember the second situation better because I was more into my emotions rather than the first. I didn't have a hard time describing, all the words just came in my mind (believe me I had to erase a lot of details because it was too long). Another thing is, pleasant emotions are way attached to the memory than the bad ones. That is why we would have more contextual details from the positive events that we have. From the first situation (which is a bad experience), I can only remember the big picture or the bottom line of the incident. I didn't remember how the others responded, how exactly fast did the car go, or how did my surroundings looked like. All I remember that it was frightening and next time I should learn from it. A good memory is actually composed by how strong the emotions were brought, not how important the details were! This is also why lyrics are easily remembered than the lessons in school, because lyrics catches the emotions.

Try thinking of a pleasant memory and an unpleasant one, which one is more detailed?

How did I come up with "This reminds me of ..." 

It's not about the place, the person, the things around or lots of other reasons we might think is what recalls a certain memory. The secret is in the mood you feel that brings you back the memory. If the mood "catches" the mood you once felt... there goes your memory popping up, so don't be surprised. Hmm let's say you saw this familiar object, it's actually not because of the appearance of the object that makes you recognize it but how an object in the past affected your feeling towards it. You can always find objects but doesn't seem to recognize because that object never had anything to do with your sense of feeling or mood. 




www.quotesonimages.com

 based on http://www.memory-key.com/memory/emotion


0 comments:

Post a Comment

A box for your thoughts :)

My Blog List

Powered by Blogger.

Translate

Search This Blog